Saturday 25 February 2012

It’s spring in my garden

It has been a lovely weather the last few days in London, Thursday I had 18 degrees in my garden! It felt like a nice spring day and I spent the whole afternoon working in my rather neglected garden. It has been too cold for too many weeks to do much at all and finally, finally we got warmer weather.

This picture is from Thursday, before I started doing anything, and although it looks reasonably OK at a distance there is lots to do! I pruned all my roses and cut down some of the shrubs that I leave over winter for protection. Some of the plants I ordered some weeks ago turned up very conveniently Thursday so my 3 new roses have now got a temporary home in large pots, waiting for them to put on some growth. Two of them are going in the ground later in the summer, the third one will be a container grown rose eventually, just need to buy a nice large container for it. All three roses are highly scented English roses and I can’t wait to see them in bloom. They are Wildeve, Scepter'd Isle and Susan Williams-Ellis.

In the mean time I’ve got crocuses to look at, lots of them! They are spread over several areas of the garden and here is one part. The white ones in the foreground are new this year, planted in October last year when I redesigned the garden and I am very happy with how this turned out. Over the years these will spread and multiply. And I have discovered that the anemones that I planted upside-down by mistake (see my post CONFUSED PLANTS from October last year) have actually found their way up after all and there are actually tiny buds emerging already. Seems like it wasn’t such a disaster after all, thinking they were bulbs when they were actually corms!

Here are some of the crocuses, close up.


And here are some of the older crocuses, smaller specious crocuses.


And here is the first daffodil to open, with a busy bee entering right when I took the shoot!


The good weather is going to continue the next few days, although we won’t get 18 degrees again for a while! I am fully stocked up on compost, mulch and new plants to put in the ground; I am going to spend the next few days doing what I like best, pottering about in my garden :-) Until next time, take care.

3 comments:

  1. Helene - how beautiful!! You are about a month and a half ahead of us here in Ontario, Canada. But your photos give me great hope :)
    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helene,

    Your garden look great and so do the crocuses!!

    Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely display of crocus. Isn't it exciting when new plants arrive? I bought some English Roses last autumn, and they have just started to grow.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.